IAS, UPSC, Civil Services Mains Paper II or GS Mains Paper 1
Essay 250 Marks
General Studies-I : Indian Heritage and Culture, History and
Geography of the World and Society.
• Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
• Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
• The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
• Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
• History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.— their forms and effect on the society.
• Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
• Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
• Effects of globalization on Indian society.
• Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
• Salient features of world’s physical geography.
• Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
• Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
How to prepare IAS, UPSC, Civil Services Mains Paper II or GS Mains Paper 1?
The UPSC IAS main exam Paper II GS Paper 1 covers topics from the following which comprises250 marks:
This paper is one of the most scoring parts of the exam as it covers mostly the static topics. It can be prepared from the available good sources. IAS mains tests the in-depth knowledge of the candidates of the above-mentioned topics. So a deep and thorough knowledge and understanding of the topics is required in order to have a good score.
After becoming familiar with all the subjects, a candidate can go on to making notes. These notes help in preparing well for the exam. Making notes may take a longer time but in the end, it helps in revision. Doing revision of whole topics becomes less time-consuming.
Since there is a lot of reading material is available one should be precise in what to study. And avoid reading unnecessary study material which is irrelevant from the exam point of view and out of the syllabus. In addition to this analysis of previous year question papers is necessary as it helps to filter the topics into most important and not so important from exam point of view.
Thus it’s always better to study according to a schedule and divide the time equally for studying all the topics.
Click below to free download Mains Paper II or GS Mains Paper 1 for IAS, UPSC, Civil Services Mains Exams.